Being a Romantic Suspense writer with more than a passing interest in what makes for a healthy libido, how could I pass up Jordyn Comier’s article in the latest CARE2 HEALTHY LIVING that describes six “sort of” scientific reasons why you should sleep naked? Read the following excerpts and, if like me, you find them compelling, give naked sleeping a try tonight!
Comier says: “If you regularly sleep sans pajamas, you’re in the minority. The vast majority of us sleep swaddled in some sort of clothing, be it shorts, a tee shirt, or a full-on onesie. According to a national sleep survey from 2012, only 8 percent admit to sleeping naked. But did you know that sleeping naked is actually great for you? Here are 6 ways nixing your pajamas will improve your health and happiness.”
- Reduce insomnia. As you sleep, your body naturally dips in temperature. It’s beneficial for the body to cool down, and it encourages deeper, more restful sleep. If your body is overheated, wrapped in thick socks and pants, you may not be able to release excess heat, which could rob you of a solid night’s sleep.
- Improve metabolism. Reduce excess belly fat by balancing cortisol levels, your stress hormone. Cortisol levels drop between 10pm and 2am, so if you’re not getting enough sleep, you may have excess amounts of stress hormones in the body upon waking that could encourage excess belly fat.
- Age more slowly. When you sleep well, your body produces melatonin and growth hormone, both of which act as anti-aging agents in the body. Sleeping in a cool (ahem, nude) environment encourages better, deeper sleep.
- Improve relationships. Skin on skin contact with your significant other increases the amount of oxytocin your body produces. Oxytocin is a powerful hormone that increases bonding and feelings of attachment.
- Your sex organs will be happier. Exposing vaginas, naturally damp and warm places, to unobstructed air flow every night can help to reduce the growth of yeast and unwelcome bacteria. On the other hand, testes are meant to be cooler than the rest of the body. Testicles that are kept cooler by sleeping in the nude are apt to produce healthier sperm.
Improve self-esteem. We have a tendency to hide our bodies from ourselves. But, the more you acknowledge and inhabit your beautiful body, the more likely you will be to accept it for what it truly is. In this way, sleeping in the nude can actually improve your self-esteem over time. Embrace yourself, and slide your bare skin in between those crisp sheets. It will feel so good!”
P.S. Check out CARE 2 Healthy Living. I love the site.
LETS GET PERSONAL! Do you sleep naked? Why or why not? Would love to hear. A $10 GIFT CARD to the most “interesting answer.’”